This recipe is kind of a lazier, less input version of our classic Mega Veggies Vegan Chili recipe. I did made a Vegan Chili Cheese Tot dish with that recipe but this cornbread dish might be even better. I love this vegan chili & cornbread! It’s worth noting a few things: #1 This is ultra low fat. Damn near Zero fat. If you enjoy fat then add a spoon of vegan butter on top. I will likely do that! #2 This is a total minimalist vegan chili recipe. You can take it up a notch by adding sauteed onions and garlic in some oil.
1/2 cup dry rice (90 grams), 1 can kidney beans, 1/2 of 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, 2 TB chili powder, 1 TB cumin, sprinkle of poultry seasonings, onion & garlic powder, 1/2 ts salt, 1/2 of 15 oz box of cornbread mix (215 grams) (I used trader joes), .5 cup (or less) almond milk, can of green chilies (optional)
- I weighed 90 grams of dry rice in a pot. I added about 3/4 cup of water. As soon as water boiled I put a lid on it and turned the temp down to “2” on the stove. I set a timer for 17 minutes and didn’t take the lid off til then.
- I then added 1 can of beans and half of the large can of crushed tomatoes. Goal was simply to coat the rice and beans without making it soupy.
- I added 2 TB chili powder, 1 TB cumin, sprinkle of poultry seasonings, onion & garlic powder, 1/2 ts salt & red pepper flakes.
- Pour into a casserole dish
- I weighed half of the cornbread mix into a bowl and slowly added almond milk. I started with 1/3 cup almond milk, whisked it into the dry mix then added a couple more splashed. I added a small can of green chilies for trader joes.
- Pour cornbread batter on top and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. ENJOY