Here are 3 dazzling snacks. You could use these for a fairy, unicorn rainbow party. I did go a bit heavy handed on the food dye. This was my first time using food dye and it’s absolutely addicting. I bought the 12 pack from the hobby store with all sorts of magical colors. I also bought some “all natural” food dye from the internet but still haven’t tried them yet. Part of me wonders how pretty these would have looked had I went more pastel which was my intention.
Vegan Unicorn Chex Mix
I LOVE frosting let the mixture cool before adding sprinkles on top so that the sprinkles do not melt. I put my chex mix in the fridge for 10 minutes and the frosting was so cooled that the sprinkles didn’t stick as well I had imagined. I’m sure there’s a middle ground for the sprinkles situation.
1 cup cereal (54 grams), 4 TB vegan frosting frost (70 grams)
- Pour cereal in mixing bowl
- Microwave frosting for 30 seconds
- Mix melted frosting and cereal, lay on baking tray to cool
- Once mini-cooled add sprinkles. ENJOY
Inspired by Fitful Focus
Vegan Unicorn Rainbow Pop Tarts
Yay! I baked successfully! This was a quarter of the original recipe. I don’t need a huge batch of pop tarts. I will admit that these didn’t come out flawless. Definitely the least professional looking thing out of the three recipes here. But these tasted so good. I wonder if I over cooked mine. They came out a bit crunchy but the flavor was so sweet and buttery. I’ve got to makes these again. *I didn’t add a dash of salt since I used salted vegan butter.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt together
- Add cubed up vegan butter to the dry ingredients. With a fork smash all the vegan butter into the flour. When the vegan butter is small pieces through out the mixture add in water.
- Mix in the water. It may feel dry but kneed the mixture until it holds together.
- Divide mixture into 6 balls of dough. Mix dye into each ball of dough.
- Flatten each ball and stack the flatten dough on each other. Now roll a ball to make the dough look kind of tie dye. Fridge for an hour.
- Roll chilled mixture out into a thin sheet. Cut into desired pop tart sizes.
- Put the tiniest amount jelly in the middle of the bottom piece of dough. Top with the upper piece and mash the edges together with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let pop tarts cool then add icing or frosting & sprinkles. To make icing mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 or 2 TB almond milk. ENJOY
Inspired by Taste Made
Vegan Rainbow Donuts
While making vegan unicorn pop tarts it dawned on me that I really needed to make vegan rainbow doughnuts. My pop tarts weren’t perfect but the vegan donut recipe I use is hella easy. Remember my 6 Vegan Donuts recipe? All different kinds of toppings to dazzle your friends and family. But here the magic is in the rainbow. I had no idea how much food dye I was suppose to use. I knew a little went a long way but I’m pretty sure I went heavy handed. I kind of wish these looked pastel and whimsical but once you add the icing these look killer! <3
*if you thin out icing with a few extra drops of almond milk you’ll be able to see the donut colors through it.
**Swirl the batter as you place it in the trays if you want more of a blended look. The two doughnuts at the bottom of the picture are upside down and show off the swirl. The top side was a mix of swirl and color block design because I didn’t mix the bottom part of the tray as well as I did the side closest to me. Make sense?
Vegan Donut Recipe:
1 cup flour (180 grams), 1/4 cup sugar (76 grams), 1/2 t baking powder, 1/4 cup oil, 3/4 cup water or almond milk, food dye (pink, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple), sprinkles
Vegan Icing Recipe:
90 grams powdered sugar (about 3/4 cup) & 1 TB almond milk
- Mix everything together
- Pour batter into 6 different bowl. Add a tiny amount of dye to each bowl.
- Bake on greased donut. Layer different colors of batter on the donut tray and swirl the colors around.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes
- Once cool mix powdered sugar with almond milk. Add more sugar if too thin, add more almond milk if icing is not thin enough.
- Dip donuts then add sprinkles. ENJOY