Here are 7 days worth of lunch or dinner. These are all mine! Mark made 7 meal preps of his own. This is the meal prep of champions. But really, aren’t they all? This was super easy to make! Lazy and cheap is the way <3 The cost breakdown, macros and calories are listed at the bottom.
Now I did make mine smokey and spicy but you can just make plain cheddar. Chipotle pepper is completely optional.
Make everything in this order
- Make seitan dough and simmer it for an hour
- Boil carrots and potatoes while seitan is cooking
- cook veggies now if you’re NOT using steamer bags of veggies
- Make vegan cheese sauce once carrots and potatoes are cooked
- Make pasta and mix with chz sauce
- Cut seitan up then put everything in containers. (I’ll cook a steamer bag separately when I go to eat the meal)
When reheating these if your mac & cheese looks a little dry add a little water to your food before microwaving
I *LOVE* using frozen steamer bags of veggies for meal prep. I bought 7 bags from aldi. They’re 99 cents for the California blend and $1.19 for just broccoli (each 12 oz bags). I bought 7 bags because I like eating a whole bag for the veggie in my meal prep. But I noticed that Mark is less likely to add veggies to his meal prep if I don’t ask him “Do you want me to cook you a bag or we can split a bag?”. You know what, I’m happy to split a bag with him. That saves money over us each having our own bag so I can’t complain.
But feel free to cut, clean and cook a big batch of fresh veggies if you don’t want frozen ones. Frozen just streamlines this by a million.
So I boiled a loaf of seitan instead of making seitan sausages to see if it would be less chewy. I do think boiling with a cheese cloth is slightly better than steaming. Boiling a loaf and steaming sausages all both great options. I have multiple Seitan Sausage Recipes!
I prefer to make my seitan plain so that I can change the flavor up on a daily basis. Most days I like orange sauce or teriyaki then random days I’ll use buffalo or BBQ sauce for the days that the starch is just plain rice. I need variety. Today I tried adding spices to my seitan loaf but I didn’t use enough so they were too subtle to notice. Feel free to add whatever your go to spices are or leave plain. The cheese sauce has more than enough flavor.
Need some conformation on the safest way to cook, store and reheat meal prep? Still Tasty is the website for you! Also I got these containers on ebay (cheaper than amazon!).
11 servings of vital gluten flour (330g/ 2.5 cups), 2 servings chickpea flour (1/2 cup, 60g), spices of choice, water or broth, 1 TB salt + couple TB of oil optional
- Mix gluten flour with chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is optional, it’s to cut down on chewiness. Add salt and mix. Salt is optional since the sauce with be flavorful. A lot of people add oil but I never do.
- Mix in 2 cups of water or broth. You’ll likely need additional liquid. Add just enough to make a solid dough, no dry flour. If your dough is too wet sprinkle with more gluten flour.
- Roll loaf in cheese cloth or nut milk bag. Simmer in a large pot of water for an hour.
- Once done cooking let it cool so that you can handle it. Cut it into cubes.
Vegan Smokey Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
2 med potatoes peeled & chopped (330 grams), 150 grams baby carrots, water, 1/2 ts onion powder, 1/4 ts garlic powder, juice from 1 lemon or lime, 3 TB nutritional flakes, 3 TB oil, 1/2 small can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (add slowly! This can get spicy fast!), salt is optional
- Boil potatoes and carrots til soft (about 25 minutes). Let cool for a few minutes then add to the blender.
- Add everything else to the blender. Use the least amount of water because you’ll want this on the thicker side. Add small amounts of chipotle pepper at a time. Blend and taste to see if it’s spicy or salty enough.
- Once sauce is ready pour over pasta and mix with the pasta.
Let’s guess the cost for is meal prep!
$2 – 1 lb shells pasta
$3.50 – 1/2 bag of vital wheat gluten flour
.50? – 2 servings/60g chickpea flour
$1 – 3 TB fancy oil (regular oil is usually 10-15 cents a TB)
.15 – 1/2 lemon
$1 random spices/BBQ Sauce/Mustard/Salt
$3 – $6.50 – 4 -7 bags of frozen veggies (depending if eat a whole bag or split a bag with Mark)
.33 – 1 med carrot/150g
.70 – med potatoes/330g
Total: $15.68 ($2.24 per meal)
Calories + Marcos for the Vegan Mac & Chz with seitan (without the veggies):
564 calories, 47g protein, 72g carbs, 9g fat
(add an addition 60-120 cal for veggies)