Dude! I loved all of these! So easy, minimal clean up and perfect because it’s just one serving. I have a more of these mug cake recipes coming soon. I bought frosting for these but was too lazy to wait for the cakes too cool before eating. These are great without frosting (and I love frosting).
I don’t know why I thought mug cakes were not worthy of the word “cake” but I was wrong. These were all sooooooo good!
- Egg replacers: if you use egg replacers like Ener-G then you’ll likely get a fluffier texture. Some people find without it the cakes are too gummy but I think they’re amazing!
- Microwave time: Most people sell these as being 1 minute recipes but it could take more or less time depending on your microwave. I did 90 seconds for a lot of these recipes.
- Overcook, Under cook: If you under cook these (by even as little as 10 seconds) you could have a fudgy brownie texture. Super gooey. When fully cooked they will be drier like cake. When over cooked they will be much chewier. The main one below you don’t want to over cook is the cinnamon roll mug cake. Ultimately texture is just personal preference so play around.
- Bowl vs Mug: These can all be mixed in the mug you’re cooking in. I mixed in a bowl then poured in a mug to keep the mug looking clean.
- Water vs Almond milk: you can use water if you’re out of almond milk
- Oil: You can use mashed banana or apple sauce if you want fat free mug cakes. I high recommend using vegan buttery coconut oil that I randomly found at the health food store. You might need to order it online, I think its worth it. But if you use coconut oil with cold almond milk it might solidify while mixing and require a couple seconds in the microwave to fully mix everything together.
- Tooth pick: feel free to use a tooth pick to see if your cake is done. Poke it in the center and if it comes out clean then it’s done!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake (with Chocolate Chips)
1/4 cup flour, 1/2 ts pumpkin spice, 1/8 ts baking powder, 2 TB maple syrup, 2 TB almond milk, 1.5 TB pumpkin, 1 TB oil, handful chocolate chips
- Mix dry ingredients together then mix in wet ingredients
- Microwave for about 1 minute. ENJOY
Inspired by ConnoisseurusVeg
Vegan Peanut Butter Brownie Mug Cake
This Lone Wolf Book Club mug is for sale both here on the blog and on etsy!
1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 TB cocoa powder, 1/8 ts baking powder, 2 TB oil, 4 TB almond milk
- Making dry ingredients then add in wet. Mix til smooth.
- Add a large spoon of nut butter on top
- Microwave for 1 minute give or take. ENJOY
Inspired by Temecula Blogs
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
Oh my gggggggggggggg. The recipe that I followed (linked below) is so hilarious. She goes down the list of completely unrealistic expectations that people have expressed in their disappointment with this recipe (even thought it’s been mostly positive feedback). Definitively the best blog post I’ve read in a while. Practically crying while reading it. Dude, that author is a genius. 🙂
*READ HER POST FOR TIPS! She talks about what kind of sugar works best, how to not over cook it, etc.
6 TB flour (plus additional for rolling), 3/4 ts baking powder, 3 TB almond milk, 2 TB brown sugar, 2 ts cinnamon, 2 TB powdered sugar, 1 ts almond milk
- Mix flour and baking powder together. Mix in almond milk. If dough is too sticky sprinkle extra flour on top.
- Roll dough on a floured surface. Roll into a long rectangle.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and coat the dough
- Roll sugared dough up and place in oiled cup
- Microwave for about 1 minute (read link for info about NOT overcooking)
- Make icing by mixing 2 TB powdered sugar with 1 ts almond. Pour on top. ENJOY
Inspired by A Virtual Vegan
Vegan Cookies and Cream Mug Cake
4 TB flour, 4 TB sugar, 1/8 ts baking powder, 2 crushed oreo cookies (extra for garnish), 4 TB almond milk, 1 TB oil
- Mix everything together then add crushed cookies
- Microwave for about 1 minute
- Once cooked add more crushed cookies on top. ENJOY
Inspired by House Vegan