These dairy free, gluten free, vegan ice creams are easy to make. Because they’re low fat banana ice cream they aren’t as creamy as traditional ice cream. And no ice cream machine is needed!
You could easily make these creamy by using coconut cream instead of bananas. Place a couple cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The next day turn them over, open the can to drain the water from the cream. Place the cream only in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer til fluffy. Then add in sweetener, whip some more then freeze.
With banana ice cream, or any fruit turned into ice cream, we’ll want to not let it freeze solid. I mean, you can but you’ll then need to let it slightly soften before scooping or eating.
Also fruit based desserts go from perfect when blended to hard crystallize bricks once fully frozen. I recommend adding the smallest amount of xanthan gum to fruit based ice creams to prevent crystallization when freezing. It’s totally optional and I haven’t played around with it enough to know the very best way to use it. But I do know this. Too much xanthan gum can turn smoothies into thick, mucus like drinks. It’s gross to say it but it’s worth mentioning. And I’m talking as little as 1 ts can be way too much. The stuff is powerful so always start with 1/16 ts or 1/4 ts.
Vegan Magnum Ice Cream Bars
The chocolate and caramel layers took this to the max! I didn’t add sweetener to the banana ice cream because processed it with vanilla protein powder. I only added the protein powder because the brand I own has a strong vanilla flavor. And I find it sweetens up nice cream enough for me. But I have hippie taste buds so I would think something like this is good. I recommend adding sweetener and leaving out the protein powder for a more less hippie taste buds.
2 frozen chopped bananas, 1-2 TB sweetener of choice, dash of ice cold water, 2 TB nut butter, 1.5 TB agave, 200g chocolate chips + 1 TB coconut oil
- Process frozen bananas, sweetener & a dash of water in a food processor or high speed blender
- Place in ice cream mold. I used a silicone mold from ebay. Place sticks in ice cream and freeze.
- Mix nut butter with agave. Place on ice cream and put back in the freezer.
- Once ice cream feels solid melt chocolate chips with coconut oil in 15 second bursts in the microwave til melted.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer, carefully remove from molds and dip in chocolate. Place on parchment paper and place back in the freezer til chocolate is hard. ENJOY
Vegan Black Ice Cream (low fat nice cream)
Naturally colored by activated charcoal. The charcoal has no flavor so feel free to add flavored protein powder or drops of flavored extracts. Some people are completely freaked out by the idea of eating charcoal. Use some black food coloring if that’s you.
I had left over nice cream from making the magnum bars. I just added charcoal to that and froze.
2 frozen chopped bananas, dash of ice cold water, 1-2 TB sweetener of choice, 1 TB charcoal
- Process frozen bananas, sweetener, charcoal and a dash of water in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Freezer til semi hard and scoop onto a cone. ENJOY
Vegan Dippin Dots (frozen yogurt)
The smaller the dots the faster they freeze and the faster they melt 🙂 Feel free to add in powdered sugar to sweeten the yogurt more. I used vanilla cashew yogurt but you could use any flavor.
I just used 1 container of yogurt. This didn’t make a lot. Feel free to make multiple trays of frozen yogurt dots.
*these melt VERY fast!
1 container of vegan yogurt, 2 colors (I used turmeric & blue algae), plastic baggie
- Pour vegan yogurt into two bowls. Color them.
- Pour into 2 plastic sandwich bags. Cut a tiny hole in the end.
- Put little drops onto parchment paper and freeze til solid.
- With a spatula remove the frozen yogurt from the tray. ENJOY