You cheap? You in college? Do you like $1 menus? ha ha ha ha
Fruit Breakfast Bowl – $1.02 total
Unlike a fruit bowl (bowl filled with sliced fruit) this is designed to be more like a crunchy bowl of cereal but with fruit instead of grains. Dude I never eat cereal, I didn’t grow up on it, so it’s easy for me to forget how awesome it is. On the ultra rare occasion that I enjoy some cereal it truly feels like I’ve eaten air. Fiber fills me up, cereal does not. I’ve only eaten a few of these breakfast bowls but there’s a lot of versatility to these. Maybe not as filling as burrito but definitely a good use of fruit. I love the mix of starchy bananas with crunchy apples with cinnamon almond milk.
2 small apples (9oz pre-cut) 46 cents, 1 banana (5.5oz whole) 13 cents, 7oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk 21 cents, 1 TB agave 16 cents, 1/8 ts cinnamon 2 cents, 1 ts hemp seeds 4 cents = $1.02 total
- Place chopped apples and bananas in a bowl
- Pour almond milk over the top
- Drizzle agave over apples and top with cinnamon
- Garnish with hemp seeds. ENJOY
Inspired by Mae Flowers
Easy Vegan Tamales (lower fat) + Spanish Rice – $1.08 total
Dude, yes! I’ve cracked the code. Actually I just watched a lot of videos and dug around a lot online to figure this out. And the more I looked the more pressure I put on myself. So I cracked the emotional code. How to calculate the cost of husks? I threw out a bunch because they looks spotted with small amounts of mold. Is that typical?
Oh yeah!!! The more oil you add to the mixture the better these will taste. Since I’m trying to be calm with my calorie usage I kept the oil to the minimum. You could leave out the oil but less oil means more dry / more oil means more flavor.
*this made 2 servings worth of tamales. 4 tamales for me, 4 tamales for Mark.
Tamales: 1/4 can of beans 37 cents, half can chipotle in adobo 40 cents, 1 ts adobo sauce from canned chipotle 14 cents, 1 cup corn flour masa (120g) 16 cents, 1 TB oil or more (15g) 2 cents, 1/4 ts salt, 3/4 cup water, 8 corn husks 50 cents = $1.59 total // .79 cents per serving!
- Soak corn husks overnight. I soaked mine for about an hour on the stove on low heat. Its hot water but not simmering or boiling.
- Mix corn flour, salt, oil, 1 ts adobo sauce with water
- In a food processor combine 1 can refried beans and half can of chipotle with adobo sauce
- Drain soft corn husks. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Place dough on smoother side of husks and flatter. Place a small amount of beans in the middle. Watch video to see how I folded it.
- Steam for an hour (or until dough is not sticky or wet)
Spanish rice meal prep (1.3 servings of rice 20 cents + 3 TB salsa 9 cents)= 29 cents total
- Cook rice as you normally would but add salsa while its cooking
Tamales inspired by Veggie Rose
Vegan Baked Seitan Corn Dogs Bites (Mini Cornbread) – 93 cents total
Yes, yes and yes! I love seitan and this my most flavorful batch yet! I could not love this bowl of cornbread bites more!!! I dipped mine in spicy mustard. So much easier to make than fried corn dogs. I’ve learned this the hard way.
Seitan: 1/4 cup gluten flour (30g) 29 cents, 1 TB chickpea flour (8g) 1 cent?, 1 ts sage 2 cents, 1/2 ts onion 2 cents, 1/4 ts garlic 2 cents, 1/4 ts salt 1 cent, 1 ts oil 2 cents, 1 TB ketchup 5 cents, 1/4 ts liquid smoke 2 cents, 2 – 3 TB water (dash of more flour)
- Make seitan first. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add liquid and mix til you have a dough. If dough is kind of wet add a little extra flour.
- Roll seitan in foil and steam for 45 minutes
- Make cornbread batter. Mix dry and mix wet then combined.
- Spray mini muffin pan, add batter then top with seitan and jalapenos. Bake at 375 til muffins are done. About 15 minutes. ENJOY