Jackfruit for lunch or dinner! These recipes were easy to make. If you’re looking for a simple meal to throw together I would say this is what you’re looking for. Shot out to the homie who recommended I try making something with jackfruit.
I did buy upton’s jackfruit but you can totally use canned jackfruit. I saw that trader joes sells jackfruit cans for $2! Even thought I bought flavored jackfruit I still spiced them up. More flavor is good.
Vegan Pork Nachos
This was EPIC! How does my brain forget about every delicious meal? Nachos, I forgot about you. Dude even just a plain ass tortilla chip is shockingly good. I swear I’m the queen of being blown away by the simplest of foods. I guess this is my round about way of saying that I want to eat these vegan pork nachos on the regular.
vegan pork: 1/2 TB oil, diced onion, salt, container of jackfruit (I used chili lime flavored), 2 TB maple syrup, 1/4 or 1/2 ts liquid smoke, dash of hot sauce (I used chipotle flavored)
vegan cheese sauce: 2 carrots, 1 med potato, 1 TB oil, 1/2 ts each of garlic and onion powder, water, 1 lime juice, salt
+ chips, garnish (jalapeno, cilantro, lime, tomato)
- Chop carrots and peeled potato. Boil til soft (about 20 minutes).
- Blend soft carrots and potatoes with oil, lime juice, dash of salt, onion & garlic powder and the least amount of water to get a thick cheese sauce. Taste and add more salt, spices or lime juice as needed.
- In a skillet saute onion with oil and salt. Add jackfruit once onions are soft. Add maple syrup, liquid smoke and hot sauce. Saute low and slow. The key is to let the syrup caramelize. This could take 20 minutes. As the jackfruit cooks and dries out try not to stir the jackfruit too much. You’ll want to break the jackfruit into small pieces.
- Pour the cheese sauce over tortilla chips. Add jackfruit on top and a sprinkle of garnishes. ENJOY
Inspired by Dora’s Daily
Vegan Jackfruit Buddha Bowl
Smaller pieces bake better. I coated the jackfruit in the various sizes that come from the package and the large pieces just didn’t produce the same results as the smaller pieces. Had I known I would have cut the larger pieces in half. The more delicious the sauce you pour over the breaded jackfruit the better the end result will be. Buddha bowl for the win!
bunch of greens, purple kale, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup water, asian sauce, jackfruit, rice, garnish, oil, salt, garlic
- Drain and pat the jackfruit dry. I recommend cutting the larger pieces into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces come out much better!
- Mix flour with water to make a batter. Dip the jackfruit in batter and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes and flip halfway through. Cook until all of the batter is dried.
- Once jackfruit batter is fully dry mix with Asian sauce.
- Cut any hard and woody pieces from the greens and kale. Saute with oil and salt. Feel free to saute with garlic.
- Add rice to a bowl then top with sauteed greens, kale and breaded jackfruit. ENJOY
Vegan BBQ Roll Ring
Crescent rolls are the way to go. Fluffy rolls mixed with sweet and smokey barbecue sauce is the best. I bought BBQ flavored jackfruit but wasn’t a huge fan of their BBQ flavor. I’m actually a BBQ sauce snob. 9 out of 10 BBQ sauces just don’t do it for me. I doctored this one up and totally loved it! Feel free to add additional BBQ sauce, extra spices or just cook it as is.
container of crescent rolls (I got mine at whole foods), jackfruit (I used BBQ flavored but you can use plain and add you own BBQ sauce), extra flavors optional (1 TB maple syrup, 1/4 ts liquid smoke, dash of hot sauce)
- In an oiled skillet saute jackfruit. Add maple syrup, liquid smoke and hot sauce. Saute low and slow. The key is to let the syrup caramelize. This could take 20 minutes. As the jackfruit cooks and dries out try not to stir the jackfruit too much. You’ll want to break the jackfruit into small pieces.
- Lay crescent triangles out like a sun (as shown in the video). Place the BBQ jackfruit in a ring in the middle of the dough. Pull the dough over the jackfruit and tuck underneath. Bake at 350 degrees for 14-20 minutes. Remove once golden brown. ENJOY