I few weeks back I did a post of 5 Vegan Breakfasts Under 50 Cents. Today I present to you 3 vegan meals under 50 cents for lunch & dinner. I think it’s my life’s mission to find as many 50 cent – $1 meals as possible.
Last night I was with some friends, a married couple, who has a $50 a week meal budget. Guess who was impressed?! This guys 🙂 $3.50 per day per person is great!
These are aldi prices which I think are exceptionally low! Ginger and vegan wonton wrappers I got at the Korean store.
Vegan Rice Bowl + Potstickers – 49 Cents
This is a massive bowl of rice! I did three servings of rice. At 4 cents a serving I figured why not feast. To jazz the dish up I thought potstickers would be killer. I threw these in the air fryer but you could totally steam these in a pot. I pretty much want to marry potstickers.
3 vegan wonton wrappers (5 cent each//15 cent total), 3 servings rice (4 cents each//12 cents total), tiny piece fresh ginger (2 cents), 2oz carrots (4 cents), 4 oz cabbage, 3 TB oil (2 cents each//6 cents total), 2 TB soy sauce (4 cents//8 cents total), salt
- Cook 3 servings of rice
- Dice cabbage and carrots into very small pieces
- Cook veggies with oil & a dash of salt
- Once veggies are cooked add grate ginger and mix in. Take off the heat and let cool completely.
- Once veggies are cool put a spoonful inside of wonton wrapper. Press wrapper closed. Add any leftover veggies to rice.
- To cook wontons add them to a heated oiled pan. Cook til the sides are golden then add 1/4 cup of water to pan, place cover on top. Steam for 15 minutes or until water is evaporated and absorbed.
- Plate everything with a side of soy sauce. ENJOY
Vegan Broccoli Mac & Cheese – 49 cents
I’ve made this EPIC Vegan Cheese Sauce a million times before on the blog. If you’ve never made this chz sauce before go do it!!!!!!!!!
I didn’t add onion and garlic powder because I was out but those really do wonders to the recipe. I used pickled jalapeno juice because since I’m a cheap ass but the real recipe used lemon or lime juice. Most people add nutritional yeast. I think it tastes cheesy without long as you add oil, salt and spices. You can make this oil free but I recommend a little oil.
*I mixed the meal with hot sauce before I ate it! Ahhh BEST MEAL EVER (oprah voice)
3.5 oz pasta (4 cents per ounce//14 cents total), 5 oz potatoes (2 cents per ounce//10 cents total), 5 oz carrot (2 cents per ounce//10 cents total), 1 TB oil (2 cent), 1 TB of vinegar (1 cent each or half of a lime’s juice), 1.8 oz broccoli (5 cents per ounce// 9 cents total), sprinkle onion & garlic powder + salt (3 cents?)
- Chop potatoes and carrots into small pieces. You can boil these til soft. I added a little water and cover the veggies in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Pour water and veggies in a blender with oil, lime juice or vinegar, salt and spices. Blend til smooth. If bland add more spices, salt & lime juice. *start with the least amount of water. As more as needed.
- Cook broccoli and pasta together. Drain then mix with cheese sauce. Adding hot sauce is a good option. ENJOY
Vegan Veggie Lo Mein – 45 cents
This is by far my favorite asian sauce to make. It’s the easiest one and very forgiving if you’re like me and always go off script when trying to follow a recipe. You can make the sauce as thick or thin as you’d like.
3 oz pasta (4 cents per ounce//12 cents total), 2.6 oz carrots (2 cents per ounce//5 cents total), 5 oz cabbage (1 cent per ounce// 5 cents total), tiny piece ginger (2 cents), 2 TB soy sauce (4 cents per TB//8 cents total), 1 TB sriracha (6 cents), 1 TB brown sugar (1 cent), 1 TB oil (2 cents), 1 TB cornstarch + 2 TB water (3 cents), salt, 1/3 cup water
- Chop carrots and cabbage. Cook veggies in 1 TB oil and a dash of salt.
- Make sauce by heating 1/3 cup of water with 2 TB soy sauce, 1 TB brown sugar. Grate ginger and add to sauce.
- Mix 1 TB corn starch with 2 TB water. Once cornstarch is dissolved add to the heated sauce and whisk well. The cornstarch will thicken the sauce up once it reaches a boil. If too thick add more water. If too thin add more cornstarch dissolved in water to the sauce.
- Cook pasta then mix with veggie into the sauce. ENJOY